While I was in college I started listing music that I generally would not have given a second glance but I realized that I was limiting myself to three genres of music. So I decided that I would discover five songs I never would have listened to before. No matter when they came out or who they were by. But there had to be rules to this make believe game I was playing.
- You could pick a more than one song from the same artist but no more than three
- Actually listen to the music and not switch it with something else because I hated it. (you pick it your stuck with with for a week.)
- There has to be at least three genres of music.
I tried to keep the rules simple because if it got to complicated I would just do something else. I've discovered a lot of artist this way. The Fray, Tracy Chapman, Melissa Ferrick, Heather Peace, 3rd Line Butterfly, Astronautalis, Bez and Carrie Elkin. The lists go back to 2008 and while I like to think I came up with this by myself I realized I had a change of heart for a lot of things I listened to because I was stuck in a production lab with the rest of the newspaper staff for more than 10 hours putting the final prep of the paper together.
So here are the songs I have for this past week:
1. Disparate Youth - Santigold
2. Tonight (Best You Ever Had) - John Legend Feat. Ludacris
3. Run For Your Life - The Fray
4. Unconsolable - Ambassadors
5. Quembo Que? - Bloody Beach