Three weeks till the new season of Glee blasts off! Are we all buckled in bois & grrlz? If you haven't already seen it, here's the first promo Fox has released for the new season:
I think my favorite part of this is watching Finn's schnoz bounce around after getting whacked with the ball that Rachel unabashedly dodged-- definitely a change from the now-iconic Glee slushie attack. Unsurprisingly, they're not giving away much in terms of actual content or plot; but if you pay real close attention (or just rely on me to pay ridiculously close attention for you), there are a few plot points to be gleaned while Rachel serenades us with some classic 80's bubblegum girl pop:
1) Sue still wants the Glee club to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination: HORROR. Aren't you glad she didn't take those court-ordered anger management classes over the summer?
2) Mr. Schue is still trying to win Ms. Pillsbury's love this season. He will express his undying ardor in the form of dodgeball protection for his woman, as slushie attacks are apparently passé this year. Good luck, butt-chin. We're all looking forward to another year of lesbian hair jokes from Jane Lynch at your expense.
3) Rachel is more interested in protecting her nose from flying balls than protecting Frankenteen Finn. Hey, a girl's gotta have priorities.
4) Mike and Tina's asian-fusion romance is still going strong. Okay, yeah, whatever, they're cute together. Next.
5) Blaine and Kurt are still on! Or at least, Blaine is still on the show, and enough of a series regular to score a spot in the promo. Here's to many more adorable duets in the new season, boys.
6) Brittany and Santana are back on the Cheerios...without Quinn. Surely y'all noticed Brittana back in their super-cute cheerleading uniforms:
...but only those paying obsession-level attention (some might call it academic interest, but whatever) will also notice the one incredibly short, fleeting shot of Quinn in this promo, decidedly out of uniform (not to mention out of focus!):
It would normally alarm me to see my favorite Gleek get so little air time in the first promo of the season; but in this case, I'm assuming it has something to do with the show's lame attempt to keep Quinn's new punk makeover under wraps for as long as possible. I'd say that ship has sailed, but I can wait for the big reveal if that's how they wanna play it. Are you guys looking forward to this as much as I am?
...Who's to say what new and exciting sources of gay will be fueling the USS Glee this season! Will Heather Morris get her wish for Brittany's next hook-up to be with Quinn? Will Santana come out publicly before she graduates? Will the new pink hair makeover help Quinn unpress her lemon and realize her eternal and undying love for one Rachel Barbra Berry? The possibilities are almost endless, especially when you factor in the two new girls, Sugar and Sheila. When I first heard about Sheila-- the one described as a "modern day Joan Jett" with attitude and tats-- I assumed she'd be a love interest for Santana, the resident lezzie badass. But now that we've seen punk!Quinn, I just don't know. Girlfight? Foursome? Bacchanalian frenzy? Who knows! We'll be tuning in on September 20th to find out. And don't forget to check in here at Vp for the new season of your Weekly Gleek, too.