I like to think my relationship with music is this fervent love affair. And this love affair was taken to another height when I discovered these women. Now you might think I am nuts for not knowing who these women are, but for the past couple of months I have been immersed in the LGBT culture with some thanks in part to the women who wrote for OC and the ones that write for Velvetpark. Secretly mentoring me without knowing it by sharing their lives, experiences and suggestions to a newbie like myself.
So here is a playlist I put together of lesbian musicians I have become completely infatuated with. Tell me what you think and if I did a good job in representing the spectrum of lesbian musicians.
1. Melissa Etheridge – "Like the way I do"
2. Indigo Girls - "Closer to Fine" Listen and watch it here
3. k.d. lang - "Constant Craving"
4. Le Tigre - "Deceptacon" (live Eurockeenes France 2004)
5. Tegan & Sara - "Back in Your Head"
6. Janis Joplin - "Piece of My heart"
7. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - "I Love Rock N Roll"
(I discovered her when I heard of the movie being made about The Runaways.)
8. Hanifah Walidah - "Do You Mind"
9. Meg Christian - "Sweet Darlin' Woman"
10. Tracy Chapman – "The Promise" (for that special lady friend)
"Talkin' Bout a Revolution"
11. God-dess & She - "Lick It"