WTF Was This Guy Thinking?
- The service having id "propeller" is missing, reactivate its module or save again the list of services.
- The service having id "buzz" is missing, reactivate its module or save again the list of services.
Who knew, while the gays were happily drinking cocktails and wandering through the East Wing, the President was considering canning his top military commander in Afghanistan?
If you haven't had a chance to read the Rolling Stone article by Michael Hastings, in which Gen. McChrystal and his top aids bash the Obama admin here are choice quotes and excerpts below that got the dude fired:
- How'd I get screwed into going to this dinner?" demands Gen. Stanley McChrystal. It's a Thursday night in mid-April, and the commander of all U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan is sitting in a four-star suite at the Hôtel Westminster in Paris.... "Who's he going to dinner with?" I ask one of his aides. "Some French minister," the aide tells me. "It's fucking gay."
- "Are you asking about Vice President Biden?" McChrystal says with a laugh. "Who's that?" "Biden?" suggests a top adviser. "Did you say: Bite Me?"
- McChrystal thought Obama looked "uncomfortable and intimidated" by the roomful of military brass. Their first one-on-one meeting took place in the Oval Office four months later, after McChrystal got the Afghanistan job, and it didn't go much better. "It was a 10-minute photo op," says an adviser to McChrystal. "Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was. Here's the guy who's going to run his fucking war, but he didn't seem very engaged. The Boss was pretty disappointed."
- One aide calls Jim Jones, a retired four-star general and veteran of the Cold War, a "clown" who remains "stuck in 1985."
- At one point on his trip to Paris, McChrystal checks his BlackBerry. "Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke," he groans. "I don't even want to open it." He clicks on the message and reads the salutation out loud, then stuffs the BlackBerry back in his pocket, not bothering to conceal his annoyance.
"Make sure you don't get any of that on your leg," an aide jokes, referring to the e-mail.
- Hillary was the only person who escaped Team McCrysatl bad mouthing) "Hillary had Stan's back during the strategic review," says an adviser. "She said 'If Stan wants it, give him what he needs."
The whole article is pretty riveting and paints a picture of a complex disciplined bad-ass with a serious attitude problem. Any one remember the movie "the Great Santini" with Robert Duvall, who played a military war hero who was a real jack-ass at home, he psychologically abused his wife and kids... something about the portrayal of McChrystal reminded me of this movie.
Here's Maddow's coverage: